Twisted Shadows

Crochet top and leather pants

Twisted shadows like Ferdinando Scianna

Skinny trousers and twisted shadows

Handmade crochet sweater

Spring style with skinny trousers

Twisted shadows on a textured wall

White crochet sweater and skinny leather pants

Glamorous Trousers (similar here, here and here) | Handmade Crochet Sweater (similar here, here and here) | Sam Edelman Petty Boot (also available here and here and here in black) | Siena Camera Bag

“The act of the photographer is closer to reading than it is to writing. They are the readers of the world.”

(Ferdinando Scianna, Magnum photographer)

A textured wall and a slant of sunlight skimming across it. For every shoot I try to find a setting that resonates with me, and sometimes, that setting can be surprisingly simple. Something as inconspicuous as a twisted shadow springing from an early morning sun nestled in just the right angle, can make the difference.

Shortly after we took these photos, I was browsing the Magnum website (Magnum is a photographic agency that unites some of the most amazing photographers in the world and its website with the portfolios of its photographers is an unending source of inspiration). My eye caught a photo of Ferdinando Scianna which reminded me so much of the photos we had taken. (I also love this and this photo from the same shoot.) The same moody, twisted shadows elevate a backdrop that consists of nothing more than a simple coarse wall.

I love the above quotation by Mr. Scianna. It reveals the lucid self-knowledge of a modest photographer who has a clear view of what he is doing. He considers himself a reader of the world and that is exactly how I feel with my camera in my hand. Thank you Mr. Scianna. We may be born in different times and places but it seems that for just a few moments we were reading the world as twins, choosing to capture exactly the same details of it (those rare twisted shadows on a textured wall that would have gone unnoticed to most others). If you’re keen to see more of his work, I invite you to check out my “Black and White Photography” board on Pinterest. Many of the photos on this board are his and it also contains photos of other photographers who are masters at playing with light and shadow, brightness and darkness.

While photographically I played with contrasts in lighting, outfit-wise I resorted to a play with textures and shapes. I love how leather (bottom) and crochet (top) on the one hand and skinny (bottom) and voluminous (top) balance each other out perfectly. (Remember this post, in which I did something similar?)

And since quotations are my thing and because my twin brother Ferdinando Scianna deserves a little more exposure, I’ll end with another utterly charming one by him:

“I do not think I can change the world with my photographs, but I do firmly believe that a bad picture can make it worse.”

1. Ramona April 1, 2016

Pretty photos and words, I like when pictures have some ‘personality’ with them that might look strange to others :-)

2. Christine Ballisty Photo March 31, 2016

Fantastic play with light & shadows! Love your top, as well. XO

Christine Ballisty Photo

3. Sarah B. March 30, 2016

According to photographer Ferdinando Scianna “the act of the photographer is closer to reading than it is to writing.” But isn’t he too modest? Reading ‘Levels of Life’ by Julian Barnes I hit upon the following words: “The poet Théodore de Banville called (Nadar) ‘a novelist and caricaturist hunting his prey'”. Nadar, as you know, was the pseudonym of Gaspard-Félix Tournachon (1820 – 1910), a pioneer of photography. His photos of famous contemporaries are early specimens of the art of photography. Looking at them and looking at your pictures I prefer the metaphor of someone hunting his prey to the rather passive “reading the world”. By the way: remarkable outfit more typical of a hunter than of a reader!

Sarah B.

• Bold Bliss May 1, 2016

One would start a blog with the sole purpose to receive comments like this one :)

4. Edye March 29, 2016

Love this outfit! Lovely photos <3

Blessings,
    Edye // Gracefulcoffee

5. Sara Nuša March 28, 2016

These photos are so beautiful! I love this outfit.

6. Cristina March 28, 2016

The light in these photos is beautiful! I like experimenting with light, you can get some interesting shots.
    I love your camera bag, I’ve been looking for something like that for ages. I wanted a bag that looked more like a purse and made me look less like a tourist ;)

• Bold Bliss May 1, 2016

Thank you! That camera bag has been a godsend for me (although I paid for it ;)). It’s been so incredibly practical to carry around without making you look like an ostentative photographer… Xx

7. Dorothy March 28, 2016

Very interesting view on photography and on this Magnum photographer.

I have learned a lot about the art (that is what you may call these kind of photos), also from your e-book!!

Thanks a lot

Dorothy

8. Ranja March 28, 2016

How wonderful your photos are again! I am in love with these earth colors. They contrast beautifully with your stunning outfit.

I especially like your white crochet blouse. Wish I could find it!

Keep surprising us!

9. Angela Seager March 28, 2016

Hi there!
    I’m still waiting for my copy of the e-book that you are heavily promoting.
    Can you send to: angela.seager@yahoo.co.uk
    I’m looking forward to receiving it and reading through …
    Thanks
    Angela

• Bold Bliss March 28, 2016

Hi Angela,

I think something is wrong with how my emails arrive in your inbox because I’ve sent it to you twice already… Could you please have a look in your spam box or provide me with another email address to which I can send it again?

Sorry for the inconvenience!

Xx
      Bold Bliss

• Angela Seager September 4, 2016

As requested, my other email to try…
        Many thanks
        Angela Seager

10. John P. March 28, 2016

Scianna’s quote about photographers being the readers of the world (and not the writers) is interesting. I can agree with it if we bear in mind that reading is a very creative way of giving meaning to a text. In the same way photography is much more than reflecting reality. It is isolating part of the world and imbuing it with meaning and beauty. Well, after all, isn’t that pretty close to writing the world? Most of your pictures prove it.

John P., professor of aesthetic theory

• Bold Bliss May 1, 2016

Thank you for your input, that makes so much sense! And how could I disagree with the views of a professor in aesthetic theory? :)

11. Petite Maison of Fashion March 27, 2016

Beautiful bag!

Thanks for commenting on my blog while I was away.

12. Nikoletta March 26, 2016

Every single photo is looking stunning and the overall look is fab!

13. Street Style City March 26, 2016

Great look!! Awesome pictures!!

My blog: Street Style City

Also have a look at my photography page: Photography