Matador

Plaza de Toros de La Maestranza in Seville

Bohemian style with printed maxi skirt

Visiting Plaza de Toros in Seville

Plaza de Toros in Seville

Bohamian outfit with grey hat and crochet bag

Grey hat and pink painted nails

Tobi toe sandals

Benches of Plaza de Toros Seville

Colour block wall at Plaza de Toros Seville

Matador

Colour block wall white and yellow

Grey hat and lace blouse

Bohemian style with tied blouse

Bohemian outfit with printed maxi skirt

Picturesque Spanish white wall and blue sky

Exterior of Plaza de Toros in Seville

3Suisses Blouse (similar here, here and here) | Urban Outfitters Skirt (similar here) | Tobi Sandals (sold out, similar here and here) | Forever21 Hat (similar here, here and here) |  Vintage Bag (similar here)

Today’s photos show me flabbergasted by the superb Plaza de Toros de La Maestranza (TripAdvisor) in Seville and feeling quite Spanish in a bohemian outfit. I wore a printed maxi skirt, tied blouse with lace detail and grey hat that kept my winter-white face from absorbing the colour of the fences that separated the benches from the bullring. The Spanish sun was as merciless as the matadors who killed and occasionally were killed in this arena. I listened to the silence covering every inch of it. Then, slowly, as I closed my eyes, it gave way to voices invading the plaza. I heard the yelling of a bloodthirsty crowd and, later on, the lamento of a flamenco guitar. I saw the piercing gaze of Picasso, the dark posture of Goya torn between conflicting emotions.

I feel the same way. To me the Plaza de Toros is one of those places that unite both charm and horror. I find the architecture of the ring with its frivolously clashing tints of yellow, red and orange seriously enticing. I’m less taken however with the choreography that takes place inside the ring. I developed an allergy to bullfights when I was 7 years old and witnessed a game of “Running of the Bulls” in Châteaurenard during a holiday in the Provence. I can still vividly evoke my terror watching the youngsters clash with the bulls while showing off their bravado.

My allergy for bullfights hasn’t faded, but while I used to be more scared for the men, I now feel more sorry for the bull. While the matador is there by choice, the bull is not. Apart from rare occasions in which it performs exceptionally well, the bull dies every time. It isn’t an equal battle. Before the matador undertakes to kill the bull, the picador pierces him from on top of a horse and the banderillero jams enormous darts into his neck to wear him down. It’s a game that writer Ernest Hemingway and others have compared to a drama, a work of art. I however was happy to have seen the theatre and to have missed the bloody play.

1. The late Pablo Picasso March 21, 2016

The colours of your photos are so exceptionally beautiful that I do not condemn your lack of understanding of the essence of bullfight. After all you can’t help not being Spanish. Do you believe in reincarnation? Then try to be born in Spain next time.

The late Pablo Diego José Francisco de Paula Juan Nepomuceno María de los Remedios Cipriano de la Santísima Trinidad Ruiz y Picasso (1881-1973), Spanish painter, sculptor etc.

• Bold Bliss May 1, 2016

I’m afraid that, even when reincarnated as a Spanish girl, you couldn’t convince me of the greatness of bullfights… Nice try, Pablo!

2. Nikoletta March 20, 2016

Great look and stunning location!

3. Ela March 15, 2016

I know I keep saying that but your photos are amazing! How bright and clean they are and the composition are always impressive. Your skirt is so pretty!

• Bold Bliss May 1, 2016

Thank you Ela, your lovely comments on my photography mean more to me than you might imagine :) Happy weekend!

4. Camen March 12, 2016

Amazing pictures – the colors are amazing! I also like this sweet outfit the top is gorgeous:)
    xx, Carmen – http://www.carmitive.com

5. Ornella March 12, 2016

I wish I had your photograper…

However, I read in Your E-book I could do it myself too. So I’ll try to apply myself and find out about your tricks. I certainly want to progress. You are a marvellous example!

Thanks

Ornella

• Bold Bliss May 1, 2016

My photographer is not a professional, so you can do it too! Good luck learning about photography!

6. Jennifer March 12, 2016

Waw!!

Amazing colors! I’d like to start off to Seville immediately!!!

You are wearing an enticing outfit again, really inspiring. The gipsy look makes me think of hot summer days – and nights. Would fit exactly in my dressing :)

Keep posting, please!

Jenny

7. Cristina March 12, 2016

Plazas de Toros are amazing places for photos. The colors are so bright and vibrant! However, even though I’m Spanish, I don’t like bull fighting. I’m against animal cruelty.
    Have a lovely weekend!

8. Gemma March 12, 2016

Such a beautiful post and photos. Have a lovely weekend. Gemma x

9. Daniela March 12, 2016

Again, such a beautiful outfit and background! I agree with you about bullfights. I don’t like them neither. It’s just a senseless killing of an animal. But your photos are so beautiful!

Daniela

• Bold Bliss May 1, 2016

Thank you Daniela! I agree with that, I’m surprised they haven’t been banned yet in Spain – I’d expect that Europe would sanction that actually…

10. Kamila March 11, 2016