Un Sac de Billes

Film set of Un sac de billes 2016 Joseph Joffo

Midi dress with side splits

Laundry hanging from windows

Decor pieces on the set of Un sac de billes

Colourful striped midi dress

Walking the streets of Nice France

Posing in front of attributes Un sac de billes

Textured fitted midi dress in colourful stripe pattern

Colourful streets of Vieux Nice

Colourful houses in Old Town of Nice

Wearing multicoloured Asos dress

Striped fitted midi dress

Colourful houses and window shutters in Nice

Asos Dress, on sale Asos Mules, on sale (similar here and here) | Vintage Bag (similar here, here and here) | Vintage Sunglasses (similar here and here)

Ochre, coral and Tuscan red. Amber, pale citrine and sunstone. If you’ve ever been to the Old Town of Nice, you’ll agree that the streets seem to be drenched in precious hues. Vieux Nice stands for a medley of tones – but they all have in common that they’re warm and cheerful.

After having our morning cappuccino on the Cours Saleya, we climbed towards the Castle Hill. At some point when we bumped into the walls surrounding the “Colline du Chateau”, we turned one of many brightly painted corners and discovered a beautiful, completely deserted street winding down to the city centre. Its apartments on the higher floors were draped with laundry hanging from the windows and its colourful window shutters were worth a photo diary on their own. There were chairs, potato boxes and wicker baskets filled with vegetables and there was even a vintage baby carriage. I wondered why the chairs were empty: I’d have expected at least a few old ladies exchanging gossip. It seemed as if we had walked into a deserted film set, transporting us back decades.

Well, it turned out we actually had. We ran into a technician who told us they were filming “Un sac de billes”, based on the novel by Joseph Joffo. In the book, the Jewish author tells his own true story, how he had to flee Nazi-invaded Paris as a 11-year-old and travelled alone, with just his 13-year-old brother and a small bag of money he had received from his father (un sac de billes), all across France to the free zone in southern France. It’s the beginning of a dangerous journey by train, foot, and horse in which the brothers use their wits and courage to stay one step ahead of the Nazis.

I was wearing a dress (which is on sale now!) in a beautifully textured woven fabric in colours that happened to fit in seamlessly in the surroundings’ Mediterranean colour scheme. I do embrace a fun pattern every now and then and this striped fabric reminds me of the patterns of the Italian fashion house Missoni I’m so fond of. I’m really into longer length skirts and dresses these days (“midi” or even 7/8th length, see for instance this and this blog post) and I love how the fitted shape and side splits make this dress extra interesting.

As we went down looking for a place for lunch and got lost in the lovely honeycomb of narrow streets, I found my mind rooting for these children caught in the whirlwind of World War II. On another day I certainly would have fully relished the light bouncing off the brightly coloured walls. But now, knowing that these streets had once witnessed the persecution of innocent children added a sudden bitter undertone to my experience of Nice.

1. Adaleta February 28, 2016

I’m really loving the colors of your dress & the colors of the post! xx adaatude.com

2. Saba February 27, 2016

This is a very insightful blog post, and it’s really good to read something thoughtful and meaningful about the history of the place you visited. I can certainly see why you had a more serious and pensive view of your surroundings, after learning more about these personal stories from a very dark time.

On a different note, the images here are beautiful, and you look so elegant in that dress. It’s a pleasure to visit your blog.

Saba x

3. Yasmin February 27, 2016

Looks like a lovely corridor full of exciting possibilities. The movie premise sounds amazing. Would love to read the book!

xx Yasmin

4. Chana D. February 22, 2016

O Nice! Dearest of towns! More than 70 years ago I spent my childhood there. The street hasn’t changed much. Same houses. Same bleached colours. Your photos bring back to me a poem by Gérard de Nerval. I had to learn it by heart down there, at the lycée. I still remember a few prophetic stanzas:

Qu’ils étaient doux ces jours de mon enfance
    Où toujours gai, sans soucis, sans chagrin,
    je coulai ma douce existence,
    Sans songer au lendemain.

Croyais-je, exempt de toute peine
    Que, dans notre vaste univers,
    Tous les maux sortis des enfers,
    Avaient établi leur domaine ?

In those days I didn’t fathom the meaning of these words. Now I do.

Thanks for the photos.

I hope to see the film soon.

5. Modishly Naturopathic February 21, 2016

I fell in love with your blog and ive only begun looking at it. Love how you do not have your face in you photographs, I would like to achieve the same concept when I get rolling on my blog. Everything is gorgeous, you really have inspired me.

• Bold Bliss February 26, 2016

Thank you! I’m so glad I inspired you with my anonymity concept. I get so many comments on that :) Have a lovely weekend! Xx

6. Daisy February 16, 2016

When I see your lovely pictures I’m amazed again at the skill of your photography.

No wonder if you read your photography secrets! Thanks for sharing!

Daisy

7. Ariane February 16, 2016

What a wonderful dress! This length is adorable, it suits you perfectly. Nice combination with the summer clogs.

Amazing surroundings. Really a good fortune you bumped into this film set. It all adds to the spell of your photos, which are always incomparable. Summer colors that make me wish I were there…

You make my day :)

Ariane

• Bold Bliss February 26, 2016

Thank you Ariane! Those summer colours… They make me a little nostalgic too! I wish I could travel all year round!

8. Daniela February 16, 2016

This sounds like a story from novel. It must have been a crazy experience. I love your photos and outfit. Nice is one of my favourite cities and I have wonderful memories of it as part of my family live there. :)

Daniela

• Bold Bliss February 26, 2016

It was quite surreal actually! Lucky you, I wish I had family living there too. It’s such a beautiful area (the whole French Rivièra actually)…

9. Merritt Beck February 15, 2016

These photos are amazing! And the dress looks so great on you! Love the striped details.

xx
    Merritt
    The Style Scribe

• Bold Bliss February 26, 2016

Thank you Merritt! I had been following your blog for a while and I’m so glad you discovered mine too :)

10. Petite Maison of Fashion February 14, 2016

Wow that is such a cool story. I would have loved to run into a film set.

11. Jennyforpresident February 14, 2016

Did you really stumble into that film set just like that? Lucky girl! These things never happen to me. But you did deserve the good luck: who else would have turn it into photos with such a vintage 1941 color touch?

My (slight) jealousy is a tribute to your art.

12. Denise February 13, 2016

This place is amazing and the pictures even more – congratulations for the photographer and the model :) This dress is amazing, and the body too! Beautiful hair and sandals as well! I so much want to go to this place now! Sorry, I was away for some weeks, now back! (I don’t like to use internet when travelling!)
    DenisesPlanet.com

• Bold Bliss February 26, 2016

Thank you so much for the superlatives! I feel flattered :) I discovered your blog today through your comment and I love it!

13. Ela February 13, 2016

Sometimes getting lost is good, you don’t know what you might find and how much you would enjoy wandering around. Your photos are beautiful as always!

14. Kamila February 12, 2016

God ! This place is sooooo incredible <3 I love it

15. Cristina February 12, 2016

That street is photographers’ paradise! I just downloaded your e-book. I’m looking forward to reading it!
    Have a lovely weekend xo

• Bold Bliss February 26, 2016

That’s so nice! Let me know how you like it :)

16. Thuy February 12, 2016

I love the shots of you walking away from the camera. And I love the dress on you. Your skin tone is lovely! :)

17. Ashley February 12, 2016

Wow, the movie sounds amazing. Something that I’m so interested in. Gorgeous dress, btw x