My Photography Secrets

My photography secrets

My photography secrets

Blogwise, I may have started the New Year with a whimper, but look – here I’m back with a bang! It feels as if January just passed by with the speed of a peregrine falcon in dive mode. I haven’t been able to get up a single blog post since January 1st… Did I decide to call it quits with blogging, you may wonder. Not at all, quite the opposite actually! I’ve been working harder on my blog than any other month and the result is finally here. I’ve poured all my free time into a project solicited by my readers: to spill my photography secrets in an e-book for you all to discover!

I’ve lost track of the number of times people have asked me questions about my photography. Have you noticed how photography has become such a hot topic these days? Since DSLR cameras have become much more available and affordable, people have started to realise they don’t need to settle for average photos. It doesn’t take vast financial commitments or drawn-out learning curves anymore these days to up your photography game, and the rewards are big. We all have the possibility to document our lives with the beautiful photo memories it deserves. Why would you opt out of that? Yay to the democratization of photography!

People have been asking me whether I use a professional photographer for my photos. The answer is negative but, well, I don’t mind the confusion! It proves that we seem to master some of the tricks that give photos taken by schooled photographers this “professional look”. The photos that feature me (mainly outfit photos) are taken by friends or family, whoever is with me at the time, and all other photos are taken by yours truly. Neither my friends nor family have any background in photography except for the occasional candid snapshots with a point-and-shoot camera in Marbella or around the Christmas tree. Nevertheless, I’ve never considered that to be a handicap! I have adopted a maxim (of whoever it was, a stylite, a bodhisattva, a Greek philosopher or my granny) saying: enthusiasm is all.

Now, let it be clear that I’m not a photography expert nor do I claim to be one. Still, it is my ambition to prove that you don’t need a degree in photography to make photos that stand out. The authentic involvement of a devoted amateur with his subject can reduce and sometimes even close the gap with the schooled and experienced professional.

In my e-book, I want to teach you all the tricks I’ve learnt along the way that have brought my photography to its current level. It has taken me months of trial and error, of scouring through photography books and other resources in order to learn how to produce the kind of photos that met my ambitious but achievable blog standards. I want to make the process easier for you guys by setting out in one easily comprehensible guide all the principles, techniques and personal secrets that I use.

This e-book is intended to be a simple, to-the-point guide for the busy girl or guy who wants to know how to make the kind of photos you see on my blog. I made the learning curve as easy as possible by leaving out unnecessary theory or techniques that I don’t use anyway. I want this e-book to be accessible for everyone and everyone, which is why I’ve done my very best to write it in a clear language, with lots of illustrative photos. My e-book will take you less than an hour to read, yet it contains all you need to elevate your photography! If only I would have had this e-book when I started out learning about photography: it would have saved me days of research and reading complicated photography guides!

Among other things, I’m revealing which camera and lenses I’m using for my photos and I’ll also offer my recommendations of camera gear for every budget. I’m also explaining which settings on your camera are important and how to get a special “look” to your photos such as a blurry background that draws attention to the subject. And last but not least I’m giving lots of tips on composition, lighting, location and editing.

Now the best part of all: my e-book completely free for subscribers to my newsletter! All you need to do is enter your email address in the subscribe box below and press enter. Since I spent a huge amount of time working on it, I’d like to ask you to please respect my copyright and not make my e-book available anywhere on the internet. You are free to link to my e-book page though where people can get the e-book for free. Please spread the word so anyone interested in photography can benefit from my tips!

I’d like you all to sense the value of the maxim mentioned above and carried to me by favourable winds coming from distant places and times: enthusiasm is all. Let it be the motto of this e-book. Cultivate the gusto of the sophisticated photographic image.

1. Angela Seager April 19, 2016

Still awaiting the photograohy e-book
    Angela Seager

• Bold Bliss April 21, 2016

Hi Angela,

I’ve sent you the e-book several times already (by emails of 23 March and 28 March) and I’ve replied to your comment on my post “Twisted Shadow” to let you know that, but you also don’t seem to have seen that. I think there might be a technical problem: maybe my emails have arrived in your spam box?

Thanks

2. Angela Seager March 23, 2016

Loving the blog posts….Thanks for sharing!
    I’ve applied for the e-photo book, how long will it take to send? I look forward to reading all your helpful tips on photography.
    Kind regards
    Angela Seager

3. Drew February 19, 2016

I look forward to seeing more from you! Thanks so much for your book. I can’t wait to give it a read.

4. Hermosa February 18, 2016

The photos are lovely and great.

5. Lorna February 16, 2016

Thank you very much for this interesting and very readable e-book. It will help me so much to get better results. Although, when I see your photos, I’m afraid I’ll never reach that level :).

It must have cost a lot of time to come to such an overview. This is a really nice and altruistic attitude, wonderful.

I keep following you with admiration!!

Lorna

• Bold Bliss February 26, 2016

Thank you Lorna! It took a lot of time indeed to write it. I’m glad you appreciate it! :)

6. Anna February 16, 2016

I’m in love with your blog. Lovely post! Very well written. Keep in touch.

7. Laura February 11, 2016

Such an insightful post and thanks so much for sharing your tips :)

I love Photography and I found this very interesting indeed. I use a classic but a goodie Nikon D80 and it works ever so well. I love it.

Your photos are beautiful and really glad I came across your beautiful blog.

Laura http://www.shehearts.net xo

• Bold Bliss February 26, 2016

Thank you! I’m really glad you found the e-book helpful. Thanks for your feedback! Xx

8. JOÃO KLEBER February 10, 2016

From the very beginning (i.e. your third post) you struck me with your modest yet amazing photography and I told you so (June 28, 2015). Now, on reading in your E-book how you made your way to it, I am even more impressed. I feel encouraged to walk in your footsteps and make photos that I can be proud of. Thank you so much.

JOÃO KLEBER

• Bold Bliss February 26, 2016

I do encourage you to give the whole photography thing a try and I’m sure it will be easier than you expect. Keep me updated with your progress :)

9. Tiny Tell February 8, 2016

You are right, dear Bold Bliss: enthusiasm is all! And God knows that I have enough of that. What I missed was a clear outline of the excellent but affordable photographic equipment available on the market. Thanks for drawing that outline and thanks for generously sharing your photographic experience. You’ve given me the necessary kick to set off for mighty adventures in the land of photography. I promise the world will hear from me. I am coming, believe me!

• Bold Bliss February 26, 2016

I have no doubt you are coming! ;) You don’t seem to be short of enthusiasm either… Keep me updated! Xx

10. Petite Maison of Fashion February 7, 2016

Congratulations on launching your eBook! You are a wonderful photographer!

11. Ela February 7, 2016

Your photography is amazing, and I can’t wait to read your ebook to find out more about it!

12. Thuy February 5, 2016

Hope to see more from you soon! I’ve downloaded the e-book to see what you have written. Personally, I use professional photographers myself but it’s comforting to know that it’s possible to achieve good photography without them if you absolutely need to. At some points in my life, that may be the case. I got a DSLR partly for that reason!

• Bold Bliss February 26, 2016

I love that you use professional photographers! It shows that you take your blog photography seriously :) I think the photos on your blog are lovely, so it definitely pays off! Xx