A Touch of Old Hollywood Glam

Hollywood glamour in Monte Carlo, Monaco | Bold Bliss

Wearing Asos midi skirt, Missguided suede top and cork clogs | Bold Bliss

Crystal terrace, Hermitage Hotel, Monte Carlo, Monaco - Bold Bliss

Wearing denim midi skirt, suede cut-out top and white wool beret | Bold Bliss

Detail of outfit with button-up denim midi skirt, cut-out crop top and grey structured bag | Bold Bliss

Hollywood glamour with denim midi skirt, cut-out crop top, white beret and mules | Bold Bliss

Hollywood glamour outfit on Crystal Terrace, Monte Carlo, Monaco | Bold Bliss

Detail of white wool beret, light blue bracelet and cut-out crop top | Bold Bliss

At Crystal Terrace, Hermitage Hotel, Monte Carlo, Monaco | Bold Bliss

Asos Skirt, on sale | Missguided Top, on sale | Vintage Mules (similar options herehere, here, here and a beautiful beige version here) | Vintage Bag (similar here, here and here) | Beaded necklace made by a friend (similar options here, here, here, here, here and here) | H&M Beret (similar here and here)

Today’s photos were shot the one day of our stay at the French Riviera when the weather gods were in a fretful mood. They kept the sun hidden behind dense clouds, thus turning the Cote d’Azur into a greyish Nordic coast.  The photos were taken at Crystal Terrace (TripAdvisor), one of the bars of the scenic Hôtel Hermitage (TripAdvisor) of Monte-Carlo, Monaco. One advantage of the weather gods’ peevish mood was that we had the place all to ourselves.

I was wearing a denim button-up midi skirt from Asos, a faux suede crop top with wrap detail from Missguided, my mules in dark blue leather (previousy worn here) and a grey vintage bag (previously worn here). I added a beaded bracelet, sporting different tints of blue, and an old white beret from H&M I recently rediscovered in my wardrobe. It seems I’m magically drawn to berets recently, no idea why.

To me the outfit, with its elegant silhouette, midi length skirt and white beret, has a certain old Hollywood glamour to it. When writing this post, my mind suddenly wandered to an outfit worn by Penelope Cruz to the Cannes film festival years ago, which somehow has remained etched in my memory. I think it’s the epitome of old movie glamour, and the white beret is at least partly responsible for it. Please allow me the boldness to assume that Grace Kelly (buried only a mile away from the location of this shoot) would have nodded in approval to both Penelope and me.

1. Petite Maison of Fashion October 25, 2015

I love this retro look, especially with this classy beret!

• Bold Bliss November 2, 2015

Hope you give the beret a try too! Xx

2. Kimberley October 25, 2015

So beautiful again… Chapeau! Or rather: beret!

But indeed very bold of you to suppose that Grace Kelly ‘would have nodded in approval to both Penelope Cruz and you. Why then didn’t she ever wear the French beret herself? Greta Garbo, Lauren Bacall, Marlene Dietrich, Ginger Rogers, Lana Turner, Marilyn Monroe, Brigitte Bardot, Romy Schneider, Anna Karina, Faye Dunaway – they all wore it. But not Grace Kelly. Why not? Did it lack grace? Was it not sufficiently chic? Did her prince dislike it because his shepherds wore it? Was she brainwashed by Alfred Hitchcock who preferred blondes without berets? These are some of the questions that haunt the mind of a poor bloglovin’ working class girl.

Kimberley

• The late Grace Kelly October 25, 2015

Dear Kimberley,

Stop worrying about my so called aversion to the beret. It simply was the Monegasque protocol that , God knows why, forbade me to wear it. In private I did wear it and the Prince loved it. There must be pictures of me wearing that white beret one winter evening during an incognito walk in the woods. Guess who took them. Not Alfred, no, the Prince, of course. I wouldn’t mind publishing them, but where are they now? Somewhere in the archives of the Principality of Monaco, I guess. I’m afraid that for the time being they are inaccessible.

But let me give you a hint: haven’t you got a way of photoshopping a beret on my head? But please don’t ruin my coiffure.

Anyway, dear Kimberley, don’t be mistaken: the assumption of Bold Bliss that I would nod in approval to both Penelope Cruz and Bold Bliss was right.

The late Grace Kelly (1929-1982), princess of Monaco

3. Stella October 23, 2015

Beautiful place and nice post.

4. Kamila October 23, 2015

Really lovely place !! Beautiful :)

5. Eva October 22, 2015

indeed old hollywood glam! you look so chic & elegant dear..that denim skirt is fabulous & accentuate your perfect body :)

xoxo Eva | http://www.becausepassion.com

• Bold Bliss November 2, 2015

Thanks for your lovely compliments!

6. Neha October 21, 2015

so glamorous! love the beret – xx

-Neha
    Love Playing DressUp

​​

7. Florence October 21, 2015

Such glam pictures! And that location is absolutely stunning. I’d love to visit Crystal Terrace and the Hotel Hermitage someday… Xx Florence

• Bold Bliss November 2, 2015

I’ll cross my fingers you’ll get there someday! Xx

8. Prudence October 21, 2015

Very chic outfit and love the sleek style of the denim skirt, gorgeous!

Prudence

9. Scarllet October 20, 2015

The denim skirt killed me

• Bold Bliss November 2, 2015

Had a look at your blog and was glad to see that you’re still alive! Wouldn’t want to miss your posts ;)

10. Cristina October 20, 2015

It certainly reminds me of Old Hollywood style! I’ve been drawn to head pieces lately. I hadn’t worn anything for years but now I’m stocking up on berets, hats and pompom hats for the winter.

• Bold Bliss November 2, 2015

I seem to have the same tendency this winter! Looking forward to seeing how you style them :)

11. Vicky October 20, 2015

That’s a nice outfit and super cute hat.

Vicky

12. Akanksha Padhi October 20, 2015

Love the look. Its so glam!! You go girl!

13. Rach October 20, 2015

This look definitely reminds me of old Hollywood with a modern touch. So chic!

14. Rachel October 20, 2015

Beautiful look, I love how you elevated the denim skirt.

15. Sasha October 19, 2015

What an amazing look! And background looks gorgeous too!
    xx
    SASHA

16. Ela October 19, 2015

Even tho the sun was hidden behind the clouds, these photos turned out great! You look elegant and your hair is beautiful! x

• Bold Bliss November 2, 2015