Early in the Morning (but Without Drunken Sailor)

Boohoo top and skirt with Sam Edelman petty boot in honey-1

Casual outfit with vintage snakeskin bag - Bold Bliss

Snake leather handbag - Bold Bliss

Casual outfit with mix of textures in meadows - Bold Bliss

Waterfall cardigan and snakeskin bag - Bold Bliss

Ochre-coloured snakeskin vintage handbag - Bold Bliss

Knitted crop top and button-up denim skirt Boohoo - Bold Bliss

Knitted bralet, A-line button-up denim skirt and snakeskin vintage bag - Bold Bliss

Knitted bralet Boohoo and triple necklace - Bold Bliss

White crop top and casual denim skirt - Bold Bliss

Boohoo Top | Boohoo Skirt | Sam Edelman Petty Boot (also available here) | Forever 21 Necklace (similar here, here and here) | Vintage Bag (similar here, here and here)

No, I’m not the early bird type at all, but the worm of a fine shoot can lure me out of bed at the peep of day. That is what happened to me a few days ago. The morning was bright and, except for a blackbird’s song, quiet. For the time being we were the only people in the whole world savouring that song and being overwhelmed by the endless ochre meadows bouncing in the lustrous morning light. My goodness! This was the perfect backdrop for an outfit reflecting my buoyant mood of that moment. How about a casual top and skirt, a bohemian triple necklace and honey-coloured accessories? As you can see, the simple silhouette of the outfit is balanced out by the mix of textures (knitwear, denim, suede and snake skin).

I’m particularly fond of the handbag, which is a piece of heirloom that I recently discovered in my parents’ cellar and which is made out of genuine snake leather. It once was my grandmother’s, who passed away when I still was a toddler. She received it in the fifties – as a gift from her brother, who at the time was a missionary in Africa.

Sorry, granny, that you cannot see the photos featuring your precious African handbag. You know, I would have given a lot for your reaction at the sight of them. I guess you would have deemed it a miracle that many people all over the world now can admire your cherished snakeskin bag.

FacebookTwitterPinterestGoogle+

1. Wilbur Wolley September 3, 2015

W. B. Whall, a veteran English sailor of the 1860s–70s, was the next author to publish on “Drunken Sailor. Moreover, the song had largely gone out of use as a “walk away” shanty when the size of ships’ crews was reduced and it was no longer possible to use that working method.

2. Yasmin August 13, 2015

Getting up early was well worth it! These photos turned out beautifully. Those cornfields are stunning in that light. I wish I could get up that early.

xx Yasmin

• Bold Bliss August 14, 2015

Thanks! Sometimes the benefits of getting up early do outweigh the drawbacks :)

3. I ccould not resist commenting. Very wwell written!

Feel free to suyrf to my website: advokatska Kancelarija, http://bluesbeautyworld.blogspot.com/,

• Bold Bliss August 14, 2015

Thanks! :)

4. Heidi August 10, 2015

Such stunning shots! I am really loving the buttoned denim mini trend and yours is perfect!

Wishes & Reality

5. Danielle August 10, 2015

Oh I love this!! That is such an amazing thing to have to cherish your grandmother! Its beautiful!! I am sure she would be so happy!! These shoes I LOVE!! Seriously! They look amazing!! Everything about these pictures are perfect! What a stunning background!! I hope you had a great weekend!! XO

Danielle

• Bold Bliss August 14, 2015

Hi Danielle, thanks so much for your enthusiastic comment! I adore your recipes as much as you adore my shoes :)

6. Ellen from Ask Away August 10, 2015

OMG I love the scenery!!! awesome photos!
    XO Ellen from Ask Away

7. Petite Maison of Fashion August 10, 2015

I am in love with your photos and blog. Thank goodness you followed me so I could stumble upon you! All of the lighting in your shoots are breathtaking.

I’m following you back on bloglovin’!

• Bold Bliss August 14, 2015

Hi dear, thanks so much – that’s really lovely to hear! I’m very glad I found your blog too :)

8. Aneta August 10, 2015

The handbag… wow.. I’m loving when a piece of clothes or accessories have a history. This bag is perfect.. perfect! I would love to have something similar from my grannie!
    Have a beautiful Monday,
    A.

• Bold Bliss August 14, 2015

Thanks! There’s nothing better than cleaning out a cellar or attic and finding little gems with a history like this one :)

9. Zarrah August 10, 2015

Such amazing photos as always
    May i know what cam you used?
    This is so pretty esp your cool outfit

The Bandwagon Chic | Instagram | Bloglovin | Snapchat: bandwagonchic

• Bold Bliss August 13, 2015

Thanks Zarrah! I use a Canon 6D. I believe that a good lens is at least as important for the final result as the camera and I use a Tamron 28-75mm f/2.8 (a versatile zoom lens), a Canon 50mm f/1.4 and a Canon 85mm f/1.8 (prime lenses). For this post I only used the Canon 85mm lens and the Tamron lens. Good luck with your photography :)

10. Kiki August 10, 2015

What gorgeous photos. You paint a lovely picture for us with your words. I adore the vintage handbag!
    xo Kiki

• Bold Bliss August 14, 2015

Thanks, dear! It’s so lovely to see readers comment on the writing too :)

11. Jamie August 10, 2015

super cute look! xo
    Jamie

12. Popeye the Sailor Man August 9, 2015

BoldBliss!

Why for God’s sake do you ridicule my profession with such a title?

Why didn’t you write: ‘Early in the morning but without a drunken CEO’? Or GP? Or MP? Or WE (WhatEver)?

Listen, BoldBliss, I am a sailor and I am proud to be a sailor. And the only booze I’ve ever been drunk with is Olive Oyl! So, if in the future you need a boozer in your title take a WE, not a sailor.

Popeye the Sailor Man, comic strip and animated cartoon hero

P.S. On the other hand I must admit that I do like that navy blue skirt. And so does Olive.

13. Your late Granny Nanny August 9, 2015

Oh, SWEETHEART! OF COURSE I can see your photos here! They are SO lovely! No, that is not enough praise. They are HORS CATEGORIE! Whenever you post a new shoot, I’m surrounded by lots of companion exiles congratulating me on having SUCH a GREAT granddaughter. Needless to say that I am as proud as can be! And then, what a surprise today: my good old snakeskin handbag! I was THRILLED to see that it still exists. I remember how I felt when I first went to the Sunday Holy Mass with that bag on my arm. Believe me, honey, I had grown 5 inches AT LEAST! ALL the ladies of the village were eaten up with jealousy. Oh DARLING! THOSE WERE THE DAYS! Can’t you think of a way to bribe old Charon and send my old handbag to me for a few days. I would LOVE to parade with it to my next Sunday… no, I do not go to Mass anymore, I mean to my next Sunday tea-party.

Kisses, A MILLION kisses from your late Granny Nanny

• Bold Bliss August 10, 2015

Dearest Granny Nanny

Thank you so much for your enthusiastic response. My only problem is that I do not believe in an afterlife. Therefore, may I ask you one question? Yes? O.K.: Who is your ghostwriter?

(Missed you so long so much.)

Bold Bliss

• Your late Granny Nanny August 10, 2015

Darling,

I am sorry to say that I am as dead as a doornail. My only way of surviving is in the shape of a ghost. That is to say, in my case, as a writing ghost and as such I am my own ghostwriter. And do you know where the realm of the ghosts is? It is neither in heaven nor in hell. IT IS IN THE MINDS OF THE LIVING.

So, keep thinking of me. Keep talking to me. And PLEASE, do not forget to contact the Ferryman.

And, by the way, thank you so much for mentioning in your post that blackbird’s song. It is the indispensable counterpoint to ‘the endless ochre meadows bouncing in the lustrous morning light.’

Love and A MILLION kisses from your late Granny Nanny

14. Mia August 8, 2015

Great photos! I love this skirt!
    Urban Obsessions // Vegan Food, Beauty & Lifestyle

15. Mademoiselle Coconath August 8, 2015

I love your skirt!
    xx
    Mademoiselle Coconath

16. sand August 8, 2015

Nice skiiiirt :) Bisous from France, *-* Sand. *-*

17. Falasha August 8, 2015

Very nice handbag and gorgeous photos, love how you styled this look. It is so great to find family treasures and sentiments.

Let’s follow each other on Bloglovin’?!

xx Falasha

Bite My Fashion ll Instagram ll Bloglovin’

18. Sabrina August 7, 2015

Wow these photos are perfection. I need to get on the denim skirt trend!

Sabrina | GYPSY T▲N

19. ~ Carmen ~ August 7, 2015

Such a great backdrop & love the boohoo skirt. :]

// ▲ itsCarmen.com ▲

20. Lenya August 7, 2015

Beautiful outfit! Love the bag, so elegant.
    xox
    Lenya
    FashionDreams&Lifestyle

21. Marissa August 7, 2015

Your photos are gorgeous and your writing is beautiful! xx

• Bold Bliss August 7, 2015

Thanks, Marissa! I always like it if people comment on my writing too :)