Mom Jean

Mom jeans and saddle bag - Bold Bliss

Details outfit - Bold Bliss

Missguided top and floppy straw hat - Bold Bliss

Sam Edelman Petty boot - Bold Bliss

Picking olives - Bold Bliss

Milky pink nail polish - Bold Bliss

Sam Edelman Petty Boot (also available here and here) | Missguided Cami | Vintage Jeans (similar options here, here and here) | Vintage Bag from Etsy (similar options here, here, and here, inspired by the famous Chloe Marcie Bag) | Forever 21 Hat (sold out, similar here and here) | Sephora Nail Polish

At some point on our way from Granada to Seville, a red sign bade us to “STOP” and – obedient as we are – we did. We stepped out of the car and set foot in one of the thousands of neat rasters of olive trees that adorn the side of the roads in this olive-cultivating part of Spain. It looked like a perfect set for a typical Mediterranean shoot. The simple beauty of the rustling olive trees (just try to imagine the sound) triggered my imagination and conjured up idyllic scenes far away in time and space. I swear that for a short moment I even was looking over the shoulders of Vincent van Gogh while he was vigorously painting an olive orchard near St.-Rémy in the Provence. (Of course his olive trees, reflecting his tormented soul, were far more gnarled than the young and happy ones that I saw.)

That morning, I had slipped into a pair of light-coloured, high-waisted jeans and an easy floral top: I somehow felt drawn to the combination of denim and florals. I added my favorite honey-coloured suede Sam Edelman ankle boots, a floppy straw hat in the same colour and one of my beloved saddle bags. A very casual outfit indeed, with a slight vintage touch, but flavored with this milky pink shade of nail polish I wore during most of my holiday in Spain as it just screamed “summer!” to me.

As to the jeans I’m wearing, it used to be my mother’s before I stole it from her wardrobe. Authentic certified vintage, isn’t it? Up to now I called it my “mom jean”, in the literal sense of the word. But I’m not sure I can stick to that name. On Wikipedia I read that mom jeans are “considered to be both unfashionable, and unflattering to the wearer’s figure, (…) making the buttocks appear disproportionately longer, larger, and flatter than they otherwise might.” Well, I think I prefer the Vogue interpretation of the name, referring to the mom jean as the new hottest style of denim! What about you. Shall we organize a quick opinion poll? Please let me know whether you support the Wikipedia or the Vogue meaning of “mom jean”. Thank you so much on my and my mom’s behalf.

1. Amanda June 20, 2015

These photos are so beautiful! This place looks like a dream.

2. Olive Oyl June 18, 2015

Dear Bold Bliss,

As you may or may not know, I was conceived, born and baptized Olive in an olive orchard in the U.S. And my first sentimental meeting with my friend Popeye was in the shadow of an olive tree. No wonder that I appreciate the setting of your last shoot. But I hate your outfit. As you may or may not know, I have always worn skirts. I despise women wearing garments that are symbols of the male oppression of women. So no trousers for me, no jeans and especially no jeans that by adding a female element (‘mom’) deceive girls like yourself into accepting male superiority. Therefore I cannot support the Vogue view on mom jeans. Neither can I accept your quote from Wikipedia, although I am quite pleased with Wikipedia’s item about your humble servant.

Olive Oyl, comic strip and animated cartoon heroin

• Popeye the Sailor Man June 18, 2015

Dear Bold Bliss,

I fully support the position of my dearest friend Olive except for one minor restriction: it was not under an olive tree that we first exchanged hand kisses, but in a spinach field.

Popeye the Sailor Man, comic strip and animated cartoon hero

• Olive Oyl June 18, 2015

No, Popeye, our first sentimental etcetera was under the roof of an impressive olive tree.

Olive Oyl, comic strip and animated cartoon heroin

• Popeye the Sailor Man June 18, 2015

How can you say that, Olive? What is wrong with your memory? Don’t you remember the deep green of the crop? It was in a spinach field.

Popeye the Sailor Man, comic strip and animated cartoon hero

• Olive Oyl June 18, 2015

Listen Popeye. I’m not an Alzheimer patient. It was under an olive tree.

Olive Oyl, comic strip and animated cartoon heroin

• Popeye the Sailor Man June 18, 2015

It was not!

Popeye the Sailor Man, comic strip and animated cartoon hero

• Olive Oyl June 18, 2015

It was!

Olive Oyl, comic strip and animated cartoon heroin

• Popeye the Sailor Man June 18, 2015

It was not, you bag of bones!

Popeye the Sailor Man, comic strip and animated cartoon hero

• Olive Oyl June 18, 2015

Grrrr!!! You popeyed spinach addict! The spinach must have corroded your wits!

Olive Oyl, comic strip and animated cartoon heroin

• Popeye the Sailor Man June 18, 2015

And what about you? You washed away your wits with too much cheap olive oil in your salads.

Popeye the Sailor Man, comic strip and animated cartoon hero

• Olive Oyl June 18, 2015

Cheap olive oil? How dare you? Extra-vergine you mean!

Olive Oyl, comic strip and animated cartoon heroin

• Popeye the Sailor Man June 18, 2015

Yes indeed! Extra-vergine, that’s what you are!

Popeye the Sailor Man, comic strip and animated cartoon hero

• Bold Bliss June 18, 2015

Dear Olive and Popeye, thank you so much for your contribution. But I think the time has come to put an end to your dispute.

• Olive Oyl & Popeye the Sailor Man June 18, 2015

Dear Bold Bliss,

Do you really mean to impose censorship on us? It’s a free world, you know. Ideas, opinions, convictions are free, you know. Nobody can suffocate them. The world wide web offers billions of paths for free minds like ours. You will hear about us forever.

Olive Oyl, comic strip and animated cartoon heroin & Popeye the Sailor Man, comic strip and animated cartoon hero

• Bold Bliss June 18, 2015

My dearest Olive and Popeye,

I’m a great fan of extra-vergine olive oil and spinach is one of my favorite dishes. But now I have to close this battlefield. Otherwise it might become a Waterloo for both of you.

Thank you sóóó much for guest starring in my blog.

3. Ullana Spitzweg June 17, 2015

Your photos are so great that I mostly forget to read your texts. But now I have discovered the latter. They are outstanding too. Their delicate mixture of enthusiasm and gentle irony (of which your poll is a fine example) makes them as excellent as your photos. About that poll: I’m a fan of Wikipedia but in matters of fashion such as the one you put forward in your last post, I endorse the unquestioned authority of Vogue.

Ullana Spitzweg, Berlin

4. Nuclear Glitter June 16, 2015

Jeans are amazing and your photos are really great.

5. Françoise H. June 16, 2015

Love the setting. Love the outfit. Love the ‘mom jean’. And, of course, love the Vogue view.

Françoise H. (living in St. Rémy, where Vincent painted most of his olive trees.)

6. Rachel June 15, 2015

Gorgeous! You look so great in this outfit.

7. Felicity Whitehall-Moore June 15, 2015

I’m proud to be the 22-year-old mom of little Ricky, born three weeks ago, and proud to wear my tight jeans again. Mom jeans, yes. So, do not expect me to agree with … what’s his name? Wiki P.? Who the hell is Wiki P.?

Felicity Whitehall-Moore

8. Georgina T. June 15, 2015

You know what the problem is with Wikipedia? It’s another name for Anybody. No he, no she, no face, no guts. And worst of all: no humour. Whatever Wikispeak proclaims about mom jeans is bound to be a load of crap.

Georgina T.

9. Tim Delaney June 15, 2015

If this is what mom jeans are, Vogue is definitely right. And my husband Tom, who is a real expert with a clear preference for tight jeans, lets me know from the bathroom that he supports the view of Vogue. So, my dear BoldBliss (what a beautiful name!) that means: two more votes for Vogue.

Tim Delaney

10. Héloïse June 15, 2015

Sorry, Wiki! My vote goes to Vogue.

Héloïse